How to fix faulty symlink in XCode 3.2.6, issue 14018?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Jun 20 15:01:35 PDT 2015

In article <FA4179DB-28A9-4A69-B98C-45E207991701 at macports.org>,
 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2015, at 10:24 PM, semaphore45 at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I am trying to solve the issue described there
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue14018, which prevents me from installing gqrx.
[...]
> I just installed a fresh copy of Xcode 3.2.6 on Snow Leopard, and can confirm
> there is a problem with the Mac OS X 10.6 SDK's Frameworks, which is that
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/Library/Frameworks is a directory, and it
> contains a symlink Frameworks pointing to /Library/Frameworks. In other
> words, /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/Library/Frameworks/Frameworks points to
> /Library/Frameworks, when instead it is
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/Library/Frameworks that should point to
> /Library/Frameworks. If you look at the MacOSX10.5.sdk, it is already set up
> that way. [...]

As an aside to others following along: in more recent versions of Xcode
for newer releases of OS X, the SDK no longer includes any symlinks
(working or faulty) to the /Library on the root file system.  If you
need them, you'll need to explicitly create them in the desired SDK,
which is now buried inside of an Xcode.app bundle.  And that's really a
better default: a main advantage of using an SDK is to isolate builds
from variances among individual build machines.

> The faulty Frameworks setup in Xcode 3.2.6's Mac OS X 10.6 SDK should not be
> of any significance for MacPorts, because MacPorts ports don't typically use
> anything in /Library/Frameworks, but I have not tested the gqrx port
> specifically; perhaps it is an exception. I'll try to install it now.

But yeah, the problem in issue14018 does not apply to any MacPorts
python port and shouldn't be an issue for any other port unless there is
a bug in the port.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org