two active versions of gcc

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 10:30:38 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM, levi silvers <silversster at gmail.com> wrote:

> The following ports are currently installed:
>   gcc47 @4.7.4_3
>   gcc47 @4.7.4_5 (active)
>   gcc49 @4.9.2_1
>   gcc49 @4.9.2_2 (active)
>   gcc_select @0.1_8 (active)
>
> Is it normal to have two versions of gcc active?  I suspect this is
> causing a problem with a program which depends on gcc.

Entirely normal. Note that they are not available as "gcc" by default;
instead there will be e.g. /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.7.

"gcc" will by default be /usr/bin/gcc which, depending on what version of
Xcode or Command Line Tools is present, is either an ancient llvm-gcc-4.2
or a wrapper for Clang. Also note that most ports will default to using
Xcode's clang directly on a recent (10.8 and up, and at least some 10.7
depending on Xcode version) system.

Can I specify which version I would like macports to use?

Specify configure.compiler=something (e.g.
configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7), but using this is a bad idea unless
you are specifically trying to diagnose a problem; in this case you should
report a bug against the port at https://trac.macports.org.

What port is causing problems, and can you provide a full build log (that
is, after running "port clean" on the port in question so that no leftovers
from a previous build are around)?