[MacPorts] #47755: Broken symlink left by select code when selected port is deactivated causes poppler and other ports using aclocal to fail during configuration.

Christopher David Ramos chrisdavidramos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:13:54 PDT 2015

On 6/23/15 4:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 3:30 PM, Christopher David Ramos wrote:
>
>>> I don't think you understand what Git is.
>>>
>>> Git is not a "platform" by any reasonable definition of the
>>> word. It's a version control system: a tool that allows content
>>> creators (usually software developers) to organize and
>>> distribute their work (usually source code). Git has nothing to
>>> do with compiling or installing; as Ryan already said, a
>>> project's choice of version control does not affect how it builds
>>> and works (Git submodules and such notwithstanding). A project
>>> that interferes with MacPorts will do so whether you retrieve it
>>> with Git or Mercurial or Subversion or curl or wget or Safari or
>>> lynx or floppy disk.
>>
>> Sorry, my understanding of the relevant vernacular is far from
>> perfect. I do understand, however, that git is about version
>> control of, usually, source code. That said, if building the
>> source code of any given git project leads to conflicts with
>> Macports, doesn't that constitute an undesirable conflict? Not just
>> for end-users but for the Macports project leaders. Still, I think
>> the Macports version of git should have some mechanism, or some
>> warning -- something -- to warn or prevent conflicts between
>> Macports and git projects.
>>
>> Maybe you are saying that one should not use git if one does not
>> know where downloaded projects will install files upon compilation
>> (I think the instructions are in makefiles). Fine, fair enough. My
>> counter is that the average Macports user -- myself included -- is
>> not aware of the intricacies of what Macports does behind the
>> scenes. Macports is designed to prevent conflicts between active
>> ports and, if necessary, disallow installation of ports that would
>> conflict with active ports.
>>
>>> This would not be warranted. We might as well add such warnings
>>> to any port that allows you to download a file or compile a
>>> binary.
>>
>> Most ports, I think, are the end-product -- compilation carefully
>> directed by Macports -- and do not download further files (emacs,
>> pip, etc not withstanding). This, however, is not the case with
>> git, which knows nothing about how Macports does things.
>
> There is no inherent conflict between MacPorts and any given
> software downloaded with git. Rather, there is (apparently, from what
> you've told us) a conflict between MacPorts and the specific software
> you downloaded with git, but that conflict would have been present
> regardless of how you downloaded the software; it has nothing at all
> to do with git. Git is just a program that lets you download things.
> It has no knowledge of whether those things you download are going
> to conflict with other parts of your system.

You are paraphrasing what I just said.

My understanding is that Macport ports install there own libraries under
the path prefix "/opt/local/" so as to prevent conflicts with and
reliance out of date Apple libraries. Are you saying that it was only a
fluke that a git project would have built files into Macports created
directories? Or was it a fluke that Macports was confused by
non-Macports libraries despite the use of tracemode?

--
Christopher David Ramos
www.paxperscientiam.com