what was up with ntp again?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 07:50:23 PDT 2015

On Monday March 23 2015 10:25:37 Brandon Allbery wrote:

>> Again I never noticed any such performance issues ... but apparently
>> that's because my Ubuntu hosts don't use ntp but something called ntpdate:
>>

>ntpdate is a one-shot, sometimes run from cron.

I think that's what Ubuntu does.

>Don't tell the ntp folks, they'll have a screaming fit :)

I was under the impression that they made it. The ubuntu package suggests that in any case (it refers to support.ntp.org).

>I expect this is Ubuntu's answer to the weight of ntpd.

Would it make sense to see if it works on OS X?

>Understand:

Understood! :)

>I will grant that post-10.6 can be slower, but Apple's ntpd is not the
>cause. (In fact, there isn't a single "the cause", it's little bits all
>over the place that add up.)

Of course ntpd isn't the cause: if it were post-10.6 would be faster!
I do wonder if the inexplicable delays I sometimes see in app start-up, or apps being sig-stopped by something aren't due to discontinuities in the system clock. (Yes, I have app nap disabled globally and I'm also seeing this in apps that do not support sudden termination).