what was up with ntp again?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 07:59:33 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:50 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday March 23 2015 10:25:37 Brandon Allbery wrote:
> >> Again I never noticed any such performance issues ... but apparently
> >> that's because my Ubuntu hosts don't use ntp but something called
> ntpdate:
> >
> >ntpdate is a one-shot, sometimes run from cron.
>
> I think that's what Ubuntu does.
>
> >Don't tell the ntp folks, they'll have a screaming fit :)
>
> I was under the impression that they made it. The ubuntu package suggests
> that in any case (it refers to support.ntp.org).

They made it not for general time sync but for debugging. They tried to
drop it a couple years ago, but brought it back due to the amount of
screaming.

If you dig around on ntp.org, you can find several rants about people using
scheduled ntpdate to update their clocks.

>I expect this is Ubuntu's answer to the weight of ntpd.
>
> Would it make sense to see if it works on OS X?

Sure, if it does. Make sure you disable pacemaker and ntpd first or they'll
fight over who owns the clock and overwrite each others' changes (and ntpd
will become downright ornery).

I do wonder if the inexplicable delays I sometimes see in app start-up, or
> apps being sig-stopped by something aren't due to discontinuities in the
> system clock. (Yes, I have app nap

SIGSTOP, I'd be tempted to wonder if that's taskgated refusing to let it
run until it's been sufficiently checked for code signatures, etc.