what was up with ntp again?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Mar 23 09:43:04 PDT 2015

> On Mar 23, 2015, at 5:42 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this related to the issue that was discussed a while back, and to Apple's conflicting service (pacekeeper?)?
> How can I set things right (other than doing a full reinstall of course ^^) ?

Apple's ntpd/pacemaker setup not working very well (for me) is the reason why I added the ntp port to MacPorts.

'vanilla' ntpd works OK for me. There are reasons to like (and not like) openntpd - but someone needs to do work to get a current version working on Mac OS X (iirc the person doing the portable openntpd stopped, so the current version only runs on openbsd). There's also work going on a new daemon (ntimed) that will likely eventually be the 'best' ntpd replacement (it doesn't work on Mac OS X yet either, though).

--
Daniel J. Luke