what was up with ntp again?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 09:58:45 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I tried using the Apple NTP and pacemaker, what I discovered
> essentially is that NTP does NO clock adjustment at all. All the clock
> adjustment comes from pacemaker. Unfortunately, it did not do a good job of
> synchronizing for me. In particular, the Apple NTP was never able to get
> past a poll of 256, and almost always was at 64. The drift file wanted to
> be over 500 no matter what I did with the stock config.

Yes, this is why I added the caveat about possibly needing full ntpd. Some
people *have* had it work; Apple's ntpd doesn't update the time itself, but
can determine drift in simple cases, and as this doesn't require installing
more software it's preferred. If it doesn't work then you're stuck with
installing full ntpd at least temporarily.

(Somewhere on my rather large to-do list is writing this up in detail
somewhere, probably the MacPorts Trac wiki.)