libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed May 20 03:01:18 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 10:46, Clemens Lang wrote:
> I would rather like to see us drop libjpeg completely and replace it with
> libjpeg-turbo. Does anybody object to this approach?

As the maintainer of mozjpeg, I have started experiments locally by
replacing port:jpeg with path:lib/libjpeg.dylib:jpeg in various Portfiles.

As of mozjpeg @3.0, it is ABI compatible with libjpeg-turbo, so
interchanging these two works without problems.

Both mozjpeg and libjpeg-turbo install libjpeg.8.dylib, but the jpeg
port installs libjpeg.9.dylib. Therefore, jpeg cannot simply be replaced
with one of the others without rebuilding all dependents.

Rainer