libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed May 20 03:11:08 PDT 2015

Hi,

----- On 20 May, 2015, at 12:01, Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org wrote:

> As the maintainer of mozjpeg, I have started experiments locally by
> replacing port:jpeg with path:lib/libjpeg.dylib:jpeg in various Portfiles.
>
> As of mozjpeg @3.0, it is ABI compatible with libjpeg-turbo, so
> interchanging these two works without problems.

I guess having the choice between mozjpeg and libjpeg-turbo would be
possible using the path dependency then. In theory, we could also downgrade
libjpeg to the version that used to provide libjpeg.8.dylib, but compared
to that version both mozjpeg and libjpeg-turbo are superior, IMO.

> Both mozjpeg and libjpeg-turbo install libjpeg.8.dylib, but the jpeg
> port installs libjpeg.9.dylib. Therefore, jpeg cannot simply be replaced
> with one of the others without rebuilding all dependents.

Yes, we would have to revbump all dependents of the jpeg port if we do
this. Since it is unlikely that mozjpeg and libjpeg-turbo will ever
implement the changes to become compatible with libjpeg.9.dylib there is
no way to avoid the rebuild for this kind of switch.

--
Clemens Lang