libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:33:59 PDT 2015

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7050414.html

> We could craft a solution to keep jpeg around that based on arch (ppc) or
> version (darwin 8 and lower), but that would mean we essentially get 2 ports in

As I've argued earlier, I think we'll want to keep port:jpeg around anyway, for the simple reason that no one can foresee if and when software will start using jpeg9 features ... or even features from a future version. It'd be stupid to have to reintroduce the port then, rather than beginning the whole transition with moving libjpeg to an install location where it can co-exist with other libraries. I've submitted a draft proposal for that on trac earlier today.

R.