libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Fri May 22 08:28:31 PDT 2015

On 22.05.2015 04:06 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On May 21, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Mihai Moldovan <ionic at macports.org> wrote:
>>> This would involve verifying that libjpeg-turbo works (or at least builds)
>>> correctly on PowerPC and Intel Macs running 10.4 and up.
>>
>> This could become an issue on PPC and older versions. Who can test, whether
>> current libjpeg-turbo builds?
>
> also, that’s ridiculous since we only officially support the current and previous OS release (and we probably shouldn’t be helping people to keep running systems that aren’t receiving security patches from Apple anymore).

That was my initial reaction, too, but I feel that we shouldn't break
functionality that was provided free-of-charge (regarding maintenance) until now.

> If it does build there, and we can verify it - great - otherwise I don’t think it should stop us from moving forward.

Well, if it doesn't work there, we'd have to keep the jpeg port around to not
completely break these installations. At least I'd hate to break them.
We could craft a solution to keep jpeg around that based on arch (ppc) or
version (darwin 8 and lower), but that would mean we essentially get 2 ports in
one Portfile: a stub replaced_by one for darwin 9 and higher or non-ppc and the
real "libjpeg" deal for darwin 8 and lower or ppc. Something tells me that's a
really ugly hack.

Mihai