Opening X applications from terminal.app

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:33:56 PDT 2015

Hi Guys,

I have a pretty basic usage question that’s been bothering me. I used to be able to call X applications directly from the terminal.app window, such as;

   ~]$ xmgrace

If XQuartz wasn’t already running, this would open XQuartz then open the application.

However, lately this behavior is not working. If I try the above, the system just hangs in there, without ever starting XQuartz, until I ctrl-c it. It also desn’t matter if XQuartz is already running - the application doesn’t open anyway.

Now, if I go into the X11 Menu, then open an Xterm from it, then from the Xterm I try the same, I get:

   ~]$ xmgrace

   Oops! Got SIGSYS

   Please use "Help/Comments" to report the bug.
   Abort trap: 6

And the application opens for only a couple of seconds then closes again.

Can someone help me solve this issue? Some more data:

From terminal:
   ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
   /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.WhXrgO3UrQ/org.macports:0

From Xterm:
   ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
   :0

I have MacOSX 10.10.3, and I have just upgraded MacPorts last night.

(BTW: I just tested, and Xeyes opens normally on the Xterm, but *not* on the terminal, so there may be an extra issue with xmgrace.)

Thanks,
Gustavo Seabra.