zlib acceleration?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 28 05:03:35 PDT 2015

On Thursday May 28 2015 04:43:28 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I'm not comfortable with making MacPorts users involuntary testers for unofficial code in a fundamental library like zlib.

Not on an obligatory basis, no, not until we can show that there are no drawbacks to it.

I plan to add a variant to a personal version of port:zlib, and publish that via my repository.

I see a few possible reasons why upstream hasn't included it:
- there was an issue with the original patch, which caused them to hold off on incorporating it. That issue has been resolved.
- they find the gains not worth the effort, leaving it up to those for whom a 10% speed increase is significant to build their own copy
- zlib development has simply stalled for lack of whatever. Two years without even something as fashionable as a security patch feels like a sign on the wall ...

BTW, can someone try the benchmark script I linked to on 10.10 and more recent hardware than mine (early 2011 MBP 13")? Building the CloudFare version with -march=native causes clang to fail in the assembly stage, which reeks of a clang bug I might have to report to Apple.

R.