"`port -pf upgrade outdated` is incredibly unsafe" ??

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at googlemail.com
Thu May 28 10:54:27 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
> wrote:

> I'm confused about the purpose of the thread.
>
> The documentation indicates why what you're doing is a bad thing. You
> should just run random commands without knowing what they do.
>
> To quote IRC:
> "things break so often that i decided that the best course of action was
> to ignore the breakage"

Sorry, which "IRC" are you quoting?!

I've seen the upgrade of 200+ packages stopping just because one of the
first five package upgrade fails.

Anyway... do you also have a comment about my suggestions to...

...add an appropriate warning to the man page where it describes the `-f`
flag?
...add a likewise warning to be printed to the terminal whenever one uses
the `-f` flag?

It's not a good system where the official documentation doesn't mention a
warning, but on a mailing list the use of a certain flag is strongly
anathemized.