openssl vs. libressl

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 01:51:24 PST 2015

On Tuesday November 10 2015 18:55:51 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

>Actually, this won't solve the problem.  The entire problem here is that OpenSSL and Libressl are note compatible.  Projects need to be recompiled to use one or the other.  The only way to do this in a way that doesn't rely on revupgrade is to have them install in a non-conflicting manner (which this suggestion can help with) *AND* have every dependent port have +openssl and +libressl variants.

There are 2 problems:

- the compatibility issue that comes with installing EITHER openssl OR libressl
- the port-dependency issue that ensues

Installing the ssl libs in parallel and then providing respective variants is a different approach that doesn't correspond to the thread title ;)

What strikes me is that the sites linked to in this discussion only mention relinking software, not recompiling it. I guess that if the macros involved are identical that should indeed be enough, I guess.