openssl vs. libressl

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Tue Nov 10 18:55:51 PST 2015

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 06:21, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>
> On Nov 10, 2015, at 5:12 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Indeed. Still, the mod Jeremy introduced is the best/only way I know to allow choice that doesn't involve introducing an SSL PortGroup that provides +openssl and +libressl variants.
>
> One other way to handle it would be how we tried to handle perl5 for a while (which doesn’t really work that well for perl, but may apply here).
>
> We could have a port “mp-ssl-lib” that defaults to depending on one of the ssl libs (say openssl). It could also be installed as mp-ssl-lib +libressl which would modify it’s dependencies and install libressl and not openssl.
>
> Other ports would all depend on ‘mp-ssl-lib’ and not directly only openssl or libressl.
>
> It’s not a perfect solution, but may be nicer than adding +openssl/+libressl to every possible port.

Actually, this won't solve the problem.  The entire problem here is that OpenSSL and Libressl are note compatible.  Projects need to be recompiled to use one or the other.  The only way to do this in a way that doesn't rely on revupgrade is to have them install in a non-conflicting manner (which this suggestion can help with) *AND* have every dependent port have +openssl and +libressl variants.

--Jeremy