Error installing Cairo/ Pango/ ncurses/ port self updates and so on..

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 11 19:32:46 PST 2015

On Nov 11, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Gazei Ajkl wrote:

> I’m new to this whole topic. For that reason I’m sorry if there is some unprofessional way of reporting my bug.
> I’ve been using GNUplot for my scientific diagrams.
> I wanted to install
>   sudo port install cairo +no_x11 +quartz +universal
>   sudo port install pango +no_x11 +quartz +universal
> to use different GNUplot terminals as the big and annoying Error occurred 2 weeks ago.
>
> I’ve read a lot of online documentation and tried several solutions, so far without success, for that reason I’m addressing you.
>
> I think the main Problem is the xterms-sun file, as it occurs in several error messages.
> :error:deactivate org.macports.deactivate for port ncurses returned: error deleting "/opt/local/share/terminfo/78/xterms-sun": not owner
>
> It tells me I’m not the owner. I can’t change or delete the file. Even if I run the commands as superuser (sudo). I’ve tried changing the read only restrictions in the file browser, but even if I login as the admin it doesn’t allow me to change the settings.

I haven't a clue why you would get that error...

> I’ve tried a lot as the following commands:
> - sudo clean port … of several ports which had problems
> - sudo port selfupdate
> - sudo port upgrade outdated
> - reinstalled gfortran-5.2-Yosemite
> - uninstalled and reinstalled MacPorts-2.3.4-10.11-ElCapitan
> - reinstalled Command_Line_Tools_OS_X_10.10_for_Xcode_7
> - reinstalled XQuartz-2.7.8
> - reinstalled ncurses-6.0.tar.gz from a file from my HDD

Regarding gfortran and ncurses, you mean you installed these outside of MacPorts? At best, MacPorts will not use them; at worst, they will interfere with MacPorts. You should remove them.

> I add some log files as txt files which I think are useful.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
>
> I can’t plot any diagram anymore with GNUplot and I really need the program to run on my computer.
> I’ve even tried installing a newer version of GNUplot, but it always shows me problems with the libraries Pango & Cairo.
>
> Best regards
>
> Jakob
>

> <logfile_install_cairo.txt>

It says:

Error: Requested variants "+universal" do not match those the build was started with: "".
Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean ncurses' first to remove the existing partially completed build.

You tried to build ncurses with the universal variant, after previously having tried to build ncurses without the universal variant. Decide whether you need the universal variant, then clean ncurses, and either use or do not use the universal variant, as required for your particular situation. Use "port installed ncurses" to see if the port is currently installed with the universal variant. If so, chances are it is required for something, so to avoid breaking that something, it might be best to continue to use the universal variant.

> <logfile_install_pango.txt>

It says the same as the above.

> <ncurses-main.log>

It says:

:error:deactivate org.macports.deactivate for port ncurses returned: error deleting "/opt/local/share/terminfo/78/xterms-sun": not owner

as you mentioned above, which I cannot explain.

> <error_install_libg2.txt>

It says:

Error: Requested variants "" do not match those the build was started with: "+universal".
Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean libxml2' first to remove the existing partially completed build.

You tried to build libxml2 without the universal variant, after previously having tried to build libxml2 with the universal variant. Decide whether you need the universal variant, then clean libxml2, and either use or do not use the universal variant, as required for your particular situation. Use "port installed libxml2" to see if the port is currently installed with the universal variant. If so, chances are it is required for something, so to avoid breaking that something, it might be best to continue to use the universal variant.

> <port upgrade outdated.txt>

It says:

Error: Requested variants "+quartz+x11" do not match those the build was started with: "+quartz+universal+x11".
Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean pango' first to remove the existing partially completed build.

You tried to build pango without the universal variant, after previously having tried to build pango with the universal variant. Decide whether you need the universal variant, then clean pango, and either use or do not use the universal variant, as required for your particular situation. Use "port installed pango" to see if the port is currently installed with the universal variant. If so, chances are it is required for something, so to avoid breaking that something, it might be best to continue to use the universal variant.

> <port_selfupdate.txt>

It shows a successful selfupdate.