building some ports stalls on xcodebuild

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Nov 17 07:25:58 PST 2015

My system:

Late 2009 27" iMac
OS X 10.10.5

$ xcodebuild -version
Xcode 7.1.1
Build version 7B1005

While trying to build gmp, it has hung. Looking at 'ps auxw' output, it
looks like this is the hung command:

macports        25239   0.0  0.2  2667116  32808 s001  S+    8:13AM 0:00.76 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk / -find clang

The config.log:

-- start --

$ cat config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by GNU MP configure 6.0.0, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69.  Invocation command line was

   $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-cxx

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = happy
uname -m = x86_64
uname -r = 14.5.0
uname -s = Darwin
uname -v = Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Tue Sep  1 21:23:09 PDT 2015;
root:xnu-2782.50.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64

/usr/bin/uname -p = i386
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
/usr/bin/hostinfo      = Mach kernel version:
          Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Tue Sep  1 21:23:09 PDT 2015;
root:xnu-2782.50.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel configured for up to 8 processors.
4 processors are physically available.
8 processors are logically available.
Processor type: i486 (Intel 80486)
Processors active: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Primary memory available: 16.00 gigabytes
Default processor set: 322 tasks, 1992 threads, 8 processors
Load average: 3.03, Mach factor: 4.95
/bin/machine           = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
/bin/universe          = unknown

PATH: /opt/local/bin
PATH: /opt/local/sbin
PATH: /bin
PATH: /sbin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /usr/sbin

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:3040: checking build system type

-- end --

If I change into the build dir and run the './configure' line from the log, it
runs clean.

This doesn't seem to be restricted to the 'gmp' port either, I was
originally having issues with the 'libpng' port.  I thought that maybe
something had gotten goofed up after my recent HD crash/restore from
TimeMachine, so I decided to follow the 'macports migration' steps and
attempt a clean/fresh install of my wanted ports from scratch and 'gmp'
is where it got hung up this time.

--
Michael Parson
Austin, TX