building some ports stalls on xcodebuild

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 17 08:07:02 PST 2015

On Nov 17, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Michael Parson wrote:

> My system:
>
> Late 2009 27" iMac
> OS X 10.10.5
>
> $ xcodebuild -version
> Xcode 7.1.1
> Build version 7B1005
>
> While trying to build gmp, it has hung. Looking at 'ps auxw' output, it
> looks like this is the hung command:
>
> macports        25239   0.0  0.2  2667116  32808 s001  S+    8:13AM 0:00.76 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk / -find clang
>
> The config.log:
>
> -- start --
>
> $ cat config.log
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> It was created by GNU MP configure 6.0.0, which was
> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69.  Invocation command line was
>
>  $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-cxx
>
> ## --------- ##
> ## Platform. ##
> ## --------- ##
>
> hostname = happy
> uname -m = x86_64
> uname -r = 14.5.0
> uname -s = Darwin
> uname -v = Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Tue Sep  1 21:23:09 PDT 2015;
> root:xnu-2782.50.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64
>
> /usr/bin/uname -p = i386
> /bin/uname -X     = unknown
>
> /bin/arch              = unknown
> /usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
> /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
> /usr/bin/hostinfo      = Mach kernel version:
>         Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Tue Sep  1 21:23:09 PDT 2015;
> root:xnu-2782.50.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64
> Kernel configured for up to 8 processors.
> 4 processors are physically available.
> 8 processors are logically available.
> Processor type: i486 (Intel 80486)
> Processors active: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
> Primary memory available: 16.00 gigabytes
> Default processor set: 322 tasks, 1992 threads, 8 processors
> Load average: 3.03, Mach factor: 4.95
> /bin/machine           = unknown
> /usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
> /bin/universe          = unknown
>
> PATH: /opt/local/bin
> PATH: /opt/local/sbin
> PATH: /bin
> PATH: /sbin
> PATH: /usr/bin
> PATH: /usr/sbin
>

> ## ----------- ##
> ## Core tests. ##
> ## ----------- ##
>
> configure:3040: checking build system type
>
> -- end --
>
> If I change into the build dir and run the './configure' line from the log, it
> runs clean.
>
> This doesn't seem to be restricted to the 'gmp' port either, I was
> originally having issues with the 'libpng' port.  I thought that maybe
> something had gotten goofed up after my recent HD crash/restore from
> TimeMachine, so I decided to follow the 'macports migration' steps and
> attempt a clean/fresh install of my wanted ports from scratch and 'gmp'
> is where it got hung up this time.

We've had other reports of xcodebuild hanging before; check the issue tracker or mailing list archives. xcodebuild is Apple software, so Apple is the one to whom you should report the problem, since they're the only ones who can fix it.

One cause of problems we've seen before is if your computer's macports user does not have the correct home directory set. Check with "dscl . -read /Users/macports". The correct home directory is /opt/local/var/macports/home.