building some ports stalls on xcodebuild

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Nov 17 12:36:29 PST 2015

Hi,

----- On 17 Nov, 2015, at 17:07, Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org wrote:

>> While trying to build gmp, it has hung. Looking at 'ps auxw' output, it
>> looks like this is the hung command:
>>
>> macports        25239   0.0  0.2  2667116  32808 s001  S+    8:13AM 0:00.76
>> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk / -find
>> clang

> We've had other reports of xcodebuild hanging before; check the issue tracker or
> mailing list archives. xcodebuild is Apple software, so Apple is the one to
> whom you should report the problem, since they're the only ones who can fix it.

In previous instances of these hangs, a reboot has always fixed them. I had the
idea that the hangs might be related to permissions of cache files in
/var/folders, but a recent ticket seems to have disproved that. If you feel like
debugging these hangs with dtruss(1), that would be very welcome. Try also
blowing away your /var/folders/* (although at this point I have little hope that
it will help).

Otherwise, just reboot and enjoy your Windows-like system.

--
Clemens Lang