`man groff_char' misbehaving

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:17:04 PST 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 22:08:58 +0100, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM, j. van den hoff <veedeehjay at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ah yes, never occured to me tht there might be a man port as well. thank
>> you for this solution. regarding "satisfactory": for my personal use,
>> yes
>> it is. generally, I'd say no, since it seems osx's man does something
>> wrong/non-canonical, no?
>>

> Probably means Apple ships older groff and newer programs' manpages
> expect
> a newer groff. I've seen a fair number of groff warnings to that extent.

well, groff_char is a manpage from the groff project itself and I would be
surprised if it has changed much (and in a backward incompatible way!) in
recent years (but did not check/verify this). actually it seems the
problem is with the `tbl' precprocessor (that's the one throwing the
errors). maybe I will try to ask at the groff mailing list what's going on
here.