Darwin Version

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Oct 3 03:25:17 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> We're trying to make MacPorts into a system that just works, and that
> means that when we discover common situations where MacPorts fails to
> work, we try to modify MacPorts so that users are less likely to
> encounter them. One of the common problems we discovered was when
> MacPorts is built on one version of OS X and used on another version of
> OS X. So now we prevent that, via the error message that caused you to
> begin this thread.

And with any luck, both MacPorts and FreeBSD-ports will learn from each
other.

Remember: under the bonnet (ObUSA: hood) the Mac runs FreeBSD.

A family exchange, some years back:

    Ex: Iain, why did Dave buy a Mac?  I thought he was a Unix person!
    Son (in a withering tone): Mum, the Mac *runs* Unix.
    Me: That's right, Iain; I wouldn't've bought it otherwise.