Darwin Version

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Sun Oct 4 03:25:45 PDT 2015

> On Oct 3, 2015, at 9:35 AM, Jeffrey A. Singleton <gvibe06 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As you can see…the very first command run as instructed by the so-called migration steps shows the same error. Basically…nothing anyone has suggested so far even remotely comes close to a solution, and the migration page is useless. All of you making smart-ass comments, that seem to think you know everything need to shut up and let someone that intends to help try to provide a solution to the problem for the masses.
>
> Since the ‘selfupdate’ process won’t let you upgrade MacPorts, and the migration page assumes you are still using the same version of MacPorts, thus will not work since Apple bumped the platform version to Darwin 15…a very common step they do in almost every OS upgrade. It seems to me that reinstalling MacPorts is the only way around this…
>
> To reinstall from PKG, we need to assume the package was compile on an El Capitan system so that the correct platform is used. Or if you are like me, and compiled your own MacPorts from source, then all that should be needed is to download the latest source and recompile…after backing up all the configuration files in /opt/local/etc/macports first…then install.
>
> Success!
>
> After re-compiling MacPorts from source and confirming any custom configurations were restored…the ‘selfupdate’ process worked flawlessly. Following this with ‘port upgrade outdated’ - order is once again restored in the world.

Ok, here is “my answer.” In updating two systems, the first one generated the 14 vs 15 error, so I wiped the install and re-installed from the Mac Ports El Capitan QuickStart download.

With the second system, I started out by downloading and installing the El Capitan QuickStart version of MacPorts — no error message!  — Duh  . . .

As with the “success” above, the answer appears to be with the Migration Instructions.
The problem is that the visual queues given by the “command indent and boxing” are much more emphatic than the numbered items. i.e. the Eye overrides RTFM.

Step one needs to be — download and install the version of MacPorts appropriate to the new release found at the top of  the QuickStart page, NOT “port -qv”!

Or put another way, the instructions on the QuickStart page and the Migration page need to be better integrated.
Step 2 in the Migration Procedure is the key.

Maybe wording like:

"Reinstall MacPorts base. After updating the development tools, install the base MacPorts system  for your new platform, either from the appropriate installer (download it from the QuickStart section) or from source.”

Similarly, the numbering of the Migration Guide is somewhat confusing.

2.a should probably be moved to 3.a and the rest of 3 renumbered accordingly.

As with writing all such instructions, the baggage (experience) which is brought to the instructions by the person reading them is always different when compared to that of the person writing them. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. And sadly today, the primary technique is “post first” and re-read the instructions later.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.11
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.11

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com