Darwin Version

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Oct 9 04:31:04 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-04 12:25, William H. Magill wrote:
> As with the “success” above, the answer appears to be with the
> Migration Instructions. The problem is that the visual queues given
> by the “command indent and boxing” are much more emphatic than the
> numbered items. i.e. the Eye overrides RTFM.

Thank you for your input. I tried to improve the Migration wiki page.

Please check again:
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

> Step one needs to be — download and install the version of MacPorts
> appropriate to the new release found at the top of  the QuickStart
> page, NOT “port -qv”!
>
> Or put another way, the instructions on the QuickStart page and the
> Migration page need to be better integrated. Step 2 in the Migration
> Procedure is the key.
>
> Maybe wording like:
>
> "Reinstall MacPorts base. After updating the development tools,
> install the base MacPorts system  for your new platform, either from
> the appropriate installer (download it from the QuickStart section)
> or from source.”

Users going to the Migration page should already be familiar with
MacPorts itself as they used it on the previous release of OS X.
I don't think they need the QuickStart anymore.

> Similarly, the numbering of the Migration Guide is somewhat
> confusing.
>
> 2.a should probably be moved to 3.a and the rest of 3 renumbered
> accordingly.

I don't understand that. 2a was the macports.conf update, which is
closer to updating MacPorts base than reinstalling ports. I left this at
step 2.

Rainer