Rebuild old version of port?

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 7 07:53:44 PDT 2015

Is there a way that I can rebuild and reactivate an older version of a  port?  I know about this link:  https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort>  but the problem I have is a little bit different.
I have the old versions still on my computer, including the source (these were ports that build from source), and they are for a port that is not hosted on macports.
The problem is that one of the dependents changed, so if I just activate the old version it fails.  So, what I want is essentially to “activate from source” or “rebuild @version)” since I already have the source and the port for the old version.
I can just activate the old version because there is the issue of a bad link, so it needs to be rebuilt.
I tried:
sudo port install myport @myoldversion but it tried to rebuild the new version, which is not what I want.
I also tried just giving the source flag:
sudo port activate -s myport @myoldversion but then it just activated the old version.

I actually had no intention of yet upgrading this port, but when I upgraded one of the dependents , macports found that the port was now broken, and proceeded to download the new version of the port before rebuilding.  But, that new version is actually broken (for a completely unrelated reason).  So, now I can’t use the new version of the port, and I want to go back to the old version, but I can just activate it, because of the dependent issue.  So, I want to just have macports rebuild the old version from source.

Any guidance?

--Adam