pet project : LnxPorts

Sven Kolja Heinemann web at bachsau.name
Wed Oct 7 11:36:24 PDT 2015

If your Linux Distribution does not provide latest packages, you can either install them from 3rd party repositories or try another distribution like Arch Linux or Gentoo, or compile them from upstream using the userland of your distribution.

MacPorts exists to make OS X a complete BSD distribution, because its missing a package manager and optional components. I don't see why anyone would install something like this on a Linux distribution that already has a fully featured package manager. It would just make things more complicated.