pet project : LnxPorts

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:33:26 PDT 2015

On Thursday October 08 2015 07:16:51 Alejandro Imass wrote:

> Perhaps it's a good time to evaluate a switch to PCBSD and ditch the Linux
> ;-)

Why?

I've already checked the temp of those waters. I know MacPorts comes from BSD originally, but I cannot say I felt right at home at once on PC-BSD in that aspect. Maybe MacPorts has been on a divergent evolutionary path from its BSD ancestor ...

There's also the question of hardware support, and software that exists for Linux but not BSD. I like the fact PC-BSD uses ZFS (so does my Linux box :)) but I'm not convinced about its choice as an OS for a generic desktop/workstation instead for server purposes.

R.