pet project : LnxPorts

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 09:16:18 PDT 2015

Cal

You are misinterpreting what Rene is saying. He is not trying to garner
support for a Linux based Ports system, he is just sharing - after all he
did state 'pet project' in the title and also states very clearly that  "...
 this is not an announcement that I'll be forking off MacPorts to begin a
fully supported Linux variant! :)"

I personally disagree with blindly installing a pre-built package from any
type of package managing system. Simply because in my experience I do not
trust a package I do not build myself.

Several things bring me to this opinion...different hardware types, whether
specific variants are used, and yes, even the skill level of the person
building the package...because simply knowing how to run
configure/make/make install may not be enough to properly build a package
that can be distributed.

I prefer compiling myself...most newer systems can do this a lot quicker
now, and with proper patching done I have run into very little
issues...with most issues being trivial to fix myself.

Just my $0.02