pet project : LnxPorts

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 08:44:37 PDT 2015

----- On 8 Oct, 2015, at 16:57, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> For me, MacPorts is just an additional distribution system (and more of a build
> system) for certain things that I would otherwise build "by hand".

See, that's where you're wrong. MacPorts actively tries to NOT be a build system,
but a package manager. That's why we focus on getting things done the right way
and ensuring the tuple (os, port, variants) always behaves the same and builds
the same way. Please note that this tuple does not include "already installed
dependencies" or "stuff that's already in /usr/lib or /usr/local".

> That's also why I've made some changes to relax the principle of building as
> much as possible against libraries provided by MacPorts (into the opposite
> principle, in fact).

That's not the idea that most MacPorts developers currently have. It may suit
your expectations, but you're on your own.

Regarding your Linux endeavours… maybe Linuxbrew would fulfill your needs? I
don't see the manpower needed to support MacPorts on Linux appear anytime
soon.

--
Clemens Lang