about MacPorts principles, conventions (and dogmata :)) re: install layouts and Qt

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Oct 13 03:33:57 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-13 11:47, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday October 13 2015 11:32:58 Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
>

>> Oh, so *that's* why wireshark can’t find QtCore...
>
> That's only partly true. The main reason may simply be that it doesn't use the Qt4 Portgroup like it should.
>
> It's a pity that there's nothing in base to print a warning (or raise an error) if a PortGroup is not included.

Uhm, how should the port system know when a port group is missing?

Deviation from the standard layout will lead to more work to detect the
proper location of files in dependents. It should be discouraged.

We have discussed this with the example of the apache2 port for years:
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21315

Rainer