most basic question

Dennis Couzin dcouzin at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 10:28:50 PDT 2015

Dear users-list,
Sorry to have to ask the most basic question of all.
A certain application -- GSmartControl -- is listed on a MacPorts page.
I wish to use GSmartControl in my Mac.
So can I find a ready-to-install .dmg or .app for GSmartControl at
macports.org -- does it already publically exist?
Or must I first install the MacPorts program (which entails installing
Xcode, which requires some space) and then compile GSmartControl myself for
my Mac?  Will this produce a portable .dmg or .app for GSmartControl that I
can install on friends' Macs?
Thanks.