Does MacPorts provides its Test/QA results online?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:50:13 PDT 2015

> I have this feeling you were expecting something like a Linux distribution,
> a full ecosystem that is regression tested with itself.
> MacPorts is a BSD ports-like system intended to make available things that
> are not provided with OS X, on a best effort basis.

Yeah, we are are trying to evaluate solutions to a failed compile due
to Issue 37664. A few users are reporting it to us.

The telemetry was going to be used as follows:

(1) If MacPorts encounters this on a regular basis when using their
GCC, then do nothing as the project is already equippped to deal with
it.
(2) If MacPorts does not encounter this on a regular basis (and we are
in a very small minority), then take steps to help them with it.
(3) Once we know how MacPorts handles the issue, then advise users of
the same. It might be as simple as, "here's MacPort's patch for the
issue".

This issue is causing us a fair amount of grief because a few of our
users use MacPorts. We don't want to blow them off or dismiss them
just because they are in a minority. We feel they deserve the "it just
works out of the box" that we provide other users. Anything else would
not be fair to them.

Jeff