Does MacPorts provides its Test/QA results online?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:59:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:50 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> This issue is causing us a fair amount of grief because a few of our
> users use MacPorts. We don't want to blow them off or dismiss them
> just because they are in a minority. We feel they deserve the "it just
> works out of the box" that we provide other users. Anything else would
> not be fair to them.

What do the others use? IIRC Homebrew enables that construct but the system
linker ignores it completely; this means instead of a compile failure you
may get runtime failures. (And if you don't get runtime failures then
perhaps these attributes were not needed in the first place.) The system
linker is the issue here; while MacPorts can build its own copy of that
(often with bugfixes from later OS X releases), as yet nobody has
implemented the feature in question in OS X ld at all.