pan2 did not install on SnowLeopard and Xode 4

FritzS - gmx fritzs at gmx.net
Thu Sep 3 22:56:14 PDT 2015

> Am 03.09.2015 um 18:57 schrieb David Evans <devans at macports.org>:
>
> On 9/3/15 6:12 AM, FritzS - gmx wrote:

>>> I committed a fix in r139911 that fixes the configuration problem you are reporting.  The port still
>>> fails to build with recent clang++ due to ISO C++ incompatibilities but it may work for you on Snow Leopard.
>>>
>>> sudo port selfupdate
>>> sudo port clean pan2
>>> sudo port install pan2
>>>
>>> Let us know how it goes either way.  There's a lot of work in the upstream git repository that appears to address both
>>> the ISO C++ problems and gtk3 support as well.  When I have a chance, I'll see if building a git snapshot will get it
>>> working on recent OS releases (10.9+).
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Compiling works well now on SL and Xcode.
>
> Good.  Glad you're having some partial success.
>

>> After this I copy
>> opt/bin/pan
>> and
>> opt/share/applications/pan.desktop
>> to into the MacPorts directory of my MBP / Yosemite - pan works well now under Yosemite to.
>
> This is not recommended (even if it seems to work).  I hope to have an updated version of pan2
> ready in a day or so that will build on Yosemite so I recommend that you wait for that.

the problem that pan2 cannot installed under Yosemite and with the current Xcode exists a long time - 12/2014

I report this here and in the mailing list of pan too.

As far as I know this problem exists with the packet manager homebrew too.

This I read in the home-brew issues, I hope this could help you:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/24171
————————
Issues with clang 5/libc++. It compiles against libstdc++, but since all of its dependencies are built against libc++, that's a non-starter.

Upstream will have to address this if they want to maintain compatibility with OS X.
————————
As far as I know, home-brew removed pan2 form the available packets

I hope you could resolve the problem with the pan2 installation

My current Mac OS X version on my MacBookPro: Yosemite 10.10.5   /  Xcode version 6.4

>  Right now
> we're continuing to have network problems and I can't commit anything to svn. Hopefully this
> will be resolved soon.
>
>> Are other files needed too?
>> I take the pan2 installation under Yosemite before - all other packets are installed.
>
> If you want to make sure that all the dependencies of pan2 are installed you can try this
>
> sudo port install depof:pan2

I run - but all dep are installed before.

>> Only pan / File / Quit works very slow.
>
> Can't speak to this due to your unorthodox installation.  We can only support the standard
> installation.
>

>> I wonder under Windows there are an pan 0.140 release
>> https://sites.google.com/site/paninstall/
>
> This is an even older version so not recommended.

the current sources from pan are older - 29-Jun-2012 22:31

http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/0.139/source/
or
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/

The general problem, many developer had stopped the develop of usenet reader too, unfortunately usenet is going down.

Fritz