El Capitan migration

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 14 18:34:28 PDT 2015

On Sep 14, 2015, at 08:27, Joseph C Slater, PhD, PE wrote:

> Is El Capitan migration "working" properly?

I have not tried migrating to El Captian yet (I installed El Capitan beta on a separate disk), but I don't know of any reasons why it would be different from previous versions in regard to migration.

> I updated to the GM recently and the macport installations I use seem to work fine, however port selfupdate gave
>
> "Error: Current platform "darwin 15" does not match expected platform "darwin 14"
> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
> OS platform mismatch
>    while executing
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch"
>
> Which I can understand fine.

This means MacPorts was compiled on Yosemite but you are running it on El Capitan. This is not supported. Please recompile MacPorts on El Capitan.

> What I'm concerned about is that things are working now (of course, i want to keep upgrading my packages) but will they continue to work if I follow the procedures to migrate (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration).

If you recompile MacPorts, it will not affect your installed ports. But all ports will be marked as needing a rebuild, and some of those rebuilds may fail for El Capitan-specific reasons. If you encounter such a problem, please file a bug report so that we can fix it.

> What I don't see is an installation package for El Capitan. Will building from source (as posted) work now or is there a beta that must be used... etc.?

We don't typically create a MacPorts installation package for an OS until it has been publicly released. Until then, build MacPorts from source.

> This must have been rehashed elsewhere, but I didn't see explicit instructions browsing older emails.

We don't typically discuss an OS until it has been publicly released.