El Capitan migration

Joseph C Slater, PhD, PE joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Sep 15 10:59:00 PDT 2015

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 9:59 PM, Ryan Ware <ware at ryanandamy.net> wrote:
>
> I can confirm that following the instructions for an uninstall <https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling> and then doing an install from source <https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source> worked perfectly fine with both the El Capitan GM and Xcode 7 GM.  My first attempt failed because for some reason Anaconda was making Macports look for a non-existant openssl.cfg file.  I uninstalled that and things worked fine.  You'll just want to ensure you do a reboot between uninstall and reinstall.
>
> Ryan

I made a bit of a mess to start, and had to end up going in this direction as well. I forgot (idiot that I am) to update to the appropriate developer tools (Xcode 7 GM). So, I'm in the process of rebuilding/reinstalling packages now. I have enough packages installed (due to dependencies) that the build is now on its 8th hour (atlas failed due to lack of fortran... I'll have to go back and look into it- I think I wasn't using the macports gcc in the past but certainly don't trust myself.).

I'll report any failures as I see them.
Best Regards,

Joe

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org <mailto:ryandesign at macports.org>> wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2015, at 08:27, Joseph C Slater, PhD, PE wrote:
>
> > Is El Capitan migration "working" properly?
>
> I have not tried migrating to El Captian yet (I installed El Capitan beta on a separate disk), but I don't know of any reasons why it would be different from previous versions in regard to migration.
>

> > I updated to the GM recently and the macport installations I use seem to work fine, however port selfupdate gave
> >
> > "Error: Current platform "darwin 15" does not match expected platform "darwin 14"
> > Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>
> > OS platform mismatch
> >    while executing
> > "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> > Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch"
> >
> > Which I can understand fine.
>
> This means MacPorts was compiled on Yosemite but you are running it on El Capitan. This is not supported. Please recompile MacPorts on El Capitan.
>

> > What I'm concerned about is that things are working now (of course, i want to keep upgrading my packages) but will they continue to work if I follow the procedures to migrate (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>).
>
> If you recompile MacPorts, it will not affect your installed ports. But all ports will be marked as needing a rebuild, and some of those rebuilds may fail for El Capitan-specific reasons. If you encounter such a problem, please file a bug report so that we can fix it.
>

> > What I don't see is an installation package for El Capitan. Will building from source (as posted) work now or is there a beta that must be used... etc.?
>
> We don't typically create a MacPorts installation package for an OS until it has been publicly released. Until then, build MacPorts from source.
>

> > This must have been rehashed elsewhere, but I didn't see explicit instructions browsing older emails.
>
> We don't typically discuss an OS until it has been publicly released.

Professor
(+1) 937-775-5005
http://cecs.wright.edu/~jslater