nodejs v0.12.7 to v4.0.0

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 15 15:39:09 PDT 2015

On Sep 15, 2015, at 17:12, Thad Humphries wrote:

> With the recent release of Node.js v4.0.0 (Stable), how will the current nodejs package be upgraded? I'd rather stick with MacPorts vs downloading the Mac package from nodejs.org.

We could either:

1. Update nodejs to 4.0.0, like we've done for previous releases. This is easy but might cause problems for projects that are not compatible with 4.0.0. This is no different from before when we've updated from 0.4 to 0.6 to 0.8 to 0.10 to 0.12, and the answer was always: fix your code to make it compatible with the latest version.

2. We could offer separate versioned ports for each major version of node, like we do for php, python, gcc, clang and others already. This is a lot more work and it's unclear how this would work in practice, since so much of the node ecosystem is in the npm repository which knows nothing about MacPorts and its versions of node. If you want to use one npm module that requires nodejs 4.0.0 and another module that isn't yet compatible with 4.0.0, this would still either be a mess for you to manually handle (if you're using the two modules in two different projects), or perhaps impossible to do (if you want to use them both in the same project).

Here is the ticket for the request to do one of these things: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48827