Xcode 7.0?

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Sep 19 00:52:57 PDT 2015

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 08:15, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2015, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> No need for you to test anything. As I said before, OS X 10.11 requires
>> Xcode 7. But this thread was started by someone on OS X 10.10, and I
>> explained in my previous post why Xcode 7 on OS X 10.10 might be
>> problematic, in ways that Xcode 7 on OS X 10.11 would not be
>> problematic.
>
> So, would I be correct in concluding that Apple just pushed out a public
> release of Xcode (viz: 7) that may not be compatible with the current
> public release of OS/X (viz: 10.10)?

No.

The OS X 10.11 SDK is compatible with building OS X applications for OS X 10.10.  Some people misunderstand how SDKs work.  You can use newer SDKs to build for older OS versions (for example, I use the latest OS X SDK to build XQuartz for Snow Leopard users still).  Headers are annotated with availability such the new symbols are weakly linked.  Take a look at Availability.h for more details on how that works.

The OS X 10.11 SDK does remove some long-deprecated header, but there shouldn't be any ports that are hit by that.  If there are, then it is a bug in the port which also affects users on OS X 10.11.