Old port of libpng15.15 no longer available

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 23 11:14:03 PDT 2015

On Sep 23, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Rehan Ali wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to run some software which requires libpng15.15.dylib. I currently have libpng16.16.dylib.
>
> I found the old version in the revision log, and fetched it by
>
>   cd /tmp
>   svn checkout -r 104708 http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/graphics/libpng
>   cd png
>   sudo port install
>
> I got the following error. I've truncated most of the output, but basically it looks like this port is no longer available on any of the targets that macports queries.
>
> =========
> [snip]
> :debug:fetch Fetching distfile failed: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
> :notice:fetch --->  Attempting to fetch libpng-1.5.15.tar.xz from http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/libpng/libpng15/1.5.15
> :debug:fetch Fetching distfile failed: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
> :notice:fetch --->  Attempting to fetch libpng-1.5.15.tar.xz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/libpng
> :debug:fetch Fetching distfile failed: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
> :error:fetch org.macports.fetch for port libpng returned: fetch failed
> :debug:fetch Error code: NONE
> :debug:fetch Backtrace: fetch failed
>     while executing
> "portfetch::fetchfiles"
>     (procedure "portfetch::fetch_main" line 17)
>     invoked from within
> "portfetch::fetch_main org.macports.fetch"
>     ("eval" body line 1)
>     invoked from within
> "eval $procedure $targetname"
> :info:fetch Warning: targets not executed for libpng: org.macports.activate org.macports.fetch org.macports.checksum org.macports.extract org.macports.patch org.macports.configure org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
> :notice:fetch Please see the log file for port libpng for details:
>     /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_private_tmp_libpng/libpng/main.log
> =========
>

> Is there any way to get a copy of this version?
>
> I'm currently running OS/X Mavericks (10.10.5).

If you type "libpng-1.5.15.tar.xz" into Google you should be able to find a server that offers it. But you probably don't need it. There weren't many incompatibilities between libpng 1.5 and 1.6. You should be able to rebuild the software you're trying to use with libpng 1.6. If it's failing to build, search Google for the error message you're getting; you might find a solution. Or post it here; I may have seen it before and know how to fix it.