ghostscript problem

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:22:45 PDT 2015

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 00:29:54 +0200, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
>> not sure whether this qualifies for a ticket: after recent (~ 2 days
>> ago)
>> `port upgrade outdated' postscript generation via `ghostscript' fails
>> for me
>> with an error
>>
>> Error: /invalidfont in /findfont
>> Operand stack:
>>    Times-Roman at 0   --nostringval--   Times-Roman
>> Execution stack:
>>    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>> --nostringval
>> p   1966   1   3   %oparray_pop   1950   1   3   %oparray_pop   1836
>> 1   3
>> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   1919   3   4   %oparray_pop
>> Dictionary stack:
>>    --dict:1200/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:79/200(L)--
>> --dict:5
>> Current allocation mode is local
>> Last OS error: Invalid argument
>> Current file position is 5762
>> GPL Ghostscript 9.16: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
>>

>> apparently when looking for basic fonts such as times roman. so it
>> seems to
>> longer be able to locate any fonts. unfortunately I don't know anything
>> specific of ghostscript (just using it via `groff' to generate some
>> postscript/pdf output).
>>
>> this happens with  ghostscript @9.16_1+x11. if I deactivate this one and
>> activate `ghostscript @9.10_2+x11' (which I luckily still had available)
>> everything goes back to normal.
>>
>> no idea what is going on here. any help appreciated. if I can provide
>> further information I'll be glad to do this.
>>
>> seen with macos 10.10.5 and MacPorts 2.3.3

thanks for your reply.

> It looks suspiciously similar to
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42395, even though it could be
> different enough to happen for to a different reason. That ticket was
> opened while 9.10 was still the latest version.
>
> You could either open a new ticket or add more information to the
> existing one, possibly together with some "minimal" (or at least
> relatively small) GS file (or description of how you got that file)
> that triggers the error, to make it easier for others to reproduce the
> problem.

I think I will do that (new ticket) since as mentioned when switching from
9.16 back to 9.10 behaviour goes back to normal in my case.

> (In any case I have no clue where the fonts are.)

just a remark: I looked at https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42395 and
noted the comments regarding absence of "Times related" fonts in
/opt/local/share/ghostscript/9.10/Resource/Font/. I believe this is a
misconception: AFAIK, ghostscript is using the (free) Nimbus font family
(Mon, RomNo9, San) as drop in replacement for Courier, Times, Helvetica,
respectively, so I would think the required fonts are actually there ...
not that this helps to understand what's going on.

joerg