ghostscript problem

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Sep 25 15:29:54 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
> not sure whether this qualifies for a ticket: after recent (~ 2 days ago)
> `port upgrade outdated' postscript generation via `ghostscript' fails for me
> with an error
>
> Error: /invalidfont in /findfont
> Operand stack:
>    Times-Roman at 0   --nostringval--   Times-Roman
> Execution stack:
>    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval
> p   1966   1   3   %oparray_pop   1950   1   3   %oparray_pop   1836   1   3
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   1919   3   4   %oparray_pop
> Dictionary stack:
>    --dict:1200/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:79/200(L)--
> --dict:5
> Current allocation mode is local
> Last OS error: Invalid argument
> Current file position is 5762
> GPL Ghostscript 9.16: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
>

> apparently when looking for basic fonts such as times roman. so it seems to
> longer be able to locate any fonts. unfortunately I don't know anything
> specific of ghostscript (just using it via `groff' to generate some
> postscript/pdf output).
>
> this happens with  ghostscript @9.16_1+x11. if I deactivate this one and
> activate `ghostscript @9.10_2+x11' (which I luckily still had available)
> everything goes back to normal.
>
> no idea what is going on here. any help appreciated. if I can provide
> further information I'll be glad to do this.
>
> seen with macos 10.10.5 and MacPorts 2.3.3

It looks suspiciously similar to
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42395, even though it could be
different enough to happen for to a different reason. That ticket was
opened while 9.10 was still the latest version.

You could either open a new ticket or add more information to the
existing one, possibly together with some "minimal" (or at least
relatively small) GS file (or description of how you got that file)
that triggers the error, to make it easier for others to reproduce the
problem.

(In any case I have no clue where the fonts are.)

Mojca