Is any clang version known to work in PPC/Tiger?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Apr 3 14:28:46 PDT 2016

On 3 April 2016 at 22:13, César wrote:
> I've read that clang/llvm have been improving their PPC support over the
> years. But, is any version known to build?

I have clang-3.4 installed on 10.5 PPC. Installing the latest versions
requires quite a bit of bootstrapping headaches:
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems
but it should build. (I tried to bootstrap with the help of 10.6, but
I ran into too many problems.)

See also:
    http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/sw/llvm/
and the link to GitHub.

> And, can it be used in
> production, or there's the risk of getting corrupted/nonworking binaries?

Please don't take my word for granted ...

It depends on what you mean with "production". Generally you should
get working binaries, but you should also be ready to deal with
problems way more often than on other platforms. (There are many
compiler-related problems even on x86_64.)

I would imagine that you would more often run into compile-time
problems than runtime problems. All that is pure speculation though.

Mojca