Is any clang version known to work in PPC/Tiger?

César cesarmensajes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 15:44:38 PDT 2016

On 3 de April 2016, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On 3 April 2016 at 22:13, César wrote:
> > I've read that clang/llvm have been improving their PPC support over the
> > years. But, is any version known to build?
>
> I have clang-3.4 installed on 10.5 PPC. Installing the latest versions
> requires quite a bit of bootstrapping headaches:
>     https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems

I tried several clang versions and port rejected to do so, telling that
Intel was required. I don't remember if it was 3.4 or 3.3 the most recent
version that didn't stop with that error (I think it was 3.3 but I'm not
sure now).

BTW, reading that wiki link, makes me feel it's quite scary to use clang
for distributable apps in anything older than Mountain Lion. Does that
article mean that the users machines must install a working libc++ if the
app has C++ code? Can't executables be built statically without such
requirement?

I'd prefer to move to clang in all my Macs because I like it more than gcc,
but I'm beginning to feel it's wiser to keep using gcc in <10.8 Macs.

Thanks!

César