de/activate and Time Machine

Geoffrey Odhner geoffrey at odhner.net
Tue Apr 26 07:47:21 PDT 2016

I wish what you say were true, but Time Machine eventually can get to a point where it requires you to delete everything or start a new backup volume.  This can happen when its size is considerably larger than the size of the drive it's backing up.  I know this because it has happened to me.  When it reaches that point it doesn't allow you to make ANY other changes, including deleting directories in the backup that you could do without.  I exclude /opt/local from backups, along with other folders that can be readily reconstructed so that I won't run into this problem again.

Regards,

Geoff Odhner

On 4/26/2016 9:30:57 AM, Bachsau <web at bachsau.name> wrote:
René J.V. Bertin wrote on 26.04.2016 13:19:
> Superfluous backing up of course ends up wasting significant amount of space on the backup disk esp. for developers who regularly to something like `port -n upgrade --force` after an incremental rebuild with only minimal changes. It is also costly in terms of time when you're using a NAS like my Time Capsule (even when connected via a wired gigabit connection).

In default configuration time machine will automatically discard old
backups in favor of new ones, so there shouldn't be any space problems
ever.