de/activate and Time Machine

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:46:49 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-26, at 7:47 AM, Geoffrey Odhner <geoffrey at odhner.net> wrote:

> I wish what you say were true, but Time Machine eventually can get to a point where it requires you to delete everything or start a new backup volume.  This can happen when its size is considerably larger than the size of the drive it's backing up.  I know this because it has happened to me.  When it reaches that point it doesn't allow you to make ANY other changes, including deleting directories in the backup that you could do without.  I exclude /opt/local from backups, along with other folders that can be readily reconstructed so that I won't run into this problem again.

How long ago was that?

I've managed to delete stuff from the only existing backup in 1.7.10.
And, I discovered that if you change the "what is backed up" to only a single small partition, Time Machine will happily back that up, and then the other backup is now no longer the latest and should be deleteable.

(I did that to force a full re-backup, when I had reasons to distrust the completeness of the existing backup.)