clang 3.4 can't be configured (part of a selfupdate)

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Aug 1 09:50:33 PDT 2016

> On Aug 1, 2016, at 01:58, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Aug 1, 2016, at 3:07 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 31, 2016, at 23:49, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/lib/libc++.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format ( 0xcf 0xfa 0xed 0xfe 0x 7 0x 0 0x 0 0x 1 0x 3 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 0x 6 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 ) which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/lib/libc++.dylib
>>>
>>> libcxx needs to be installed with the universal variant prior to this step. I still think it would be a good idea if we made the libcxx port install with the universal variant automatically since not having it installed universal will cause problems like these.
>>
>> Oh... because i386 is default on SL and cmake is likely not including -arch x86_64 ... ?
>>
>> That sounds like a cmake bug, but we should figure out a good workaround.
>
> No no, the cmake portgroup (which libomp uses) sets architectures correctly, and x86_64 is the default on Snow Leopard and later.

Ah right.  I forgot when we made that switch.  I remember hitting a ton of issues in cmake when trying to make x86_64 default on Leopard and thought this was that.

> But if you want to install a C++-using port universal, libcxx will need to be universal, and MacPorts won't ensure that because libcxx isn't listed as a dependency of every C++-using port. And libomp is being built universal because its universal variant defaults to on, which was done because of https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50511
>
>> libcxx depends on libcxxabi which depends on libunwind and libmacho.  We'd need to force all four to build +universal for that.
>>
>> r150880
>
> Oh of course, I didn't see the dependencies because I was looking at the port on a newer OS. Thanks, this should help.

Pat, did that work?  Because it's a default variant, you'll need to force libcxx to +universal with something like this:

sudo port -v -s upgrade --enforce-variants libcxx +universal