Can't upgrade gtk3 as part of a "upgrade outdated", Segmentation fault?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Aug 29 01:45:18 PDT 2016

On 28 August 2016 at 23:21, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> OK - I see what happened.
>
> All traces of llvm37 have been from the new ld64 portfile.
>
> and so when the porfile saw my requested +llvm37, it saw that as no llvm variant, and defaulted to llvm34. And now my toolchain is looking pretty inoperable.
>
> there isn't an llm37 option in the ld64 portfile any longer.
>
> I either have to add one -- or -- reinstall everything
>
> but the <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems> instructions currently have a mixture of clang-3.7 references and llvm38 references.

That's partially because it was written when 3.7 made sense (ok, it
was probably earlier, when 3.5 or 3.6 was there), then 3.8 was
released, but buggy, so some instructions reverted back to 3.7 ...

> I thought 3.8 was not yet workable, and so we were to stick with 3.7 -- maybe this is in transition?

Probably. Your feedback might help though.

> Looks like I need to let this all settle down in the portfile evolution for a bit, and come back in a few days :>

Jeremy was cleaning up some of these files recently and it's quite
likely that not all of the changes were heavily tested on 10.5 and
10.6.

As an example, a recently discovered problem on 10.5 has just been
fixed and more changes have been applied just now. It makes sense to
open a new ticket for a problem like the one you mentioned. (Actually,
it also makes sense to upload crash reports and other problems to a
ticket in Trac. Trac can easily handle a 2 MB file that pastebin is
refusing.)

The setup for libc++ has a very small audience / a very small pool of
testers. Until we set up new build slaves and attract more users,
problems are to be expected. (Even then it will still be a problem
because most developers use the latest OS, so there are very often
very few people able to help.) Most support for old OSes is there
because those OSes used to be "up-to-date" some time back and
developers made sure everything was working (at least until new
software came up that required C++11). The libc++ support came later
and is constantly evolving due to releases of newer compilers.

Mojca