Macport outdated but not upgrade

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 3 15:17:13 PST 2016

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 5:12 PM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 3, 2016, at 5:02 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org <mailto:cal at macports.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 04:44:45PM -0600, Adam Dershowitz wrote:
>>> Port outdated correctly shows that there is a new upgrade:
>>> port outdated
>>> openmodelica-devel             1.9.4~dev.beta1-13-g632349b_0 < 1.9.4~dev.beta1-24-g38d8642_0
>>>
>>> But upgrade doesn’t do anything:
>>>
>>> sudo port upgrade  openmodelica-devel
>>> Password:
>>> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
>>> --->  No broken files found.
>>
>> This behavior happens on purpose if the version you had activated at the
>> time of the upgrade is not the most recent version (i.e. you had a newer
>> version installed, but deactivated). Please check if that was the case
>> for you. This is not a bug, but actually a supported feature that can be
>> used as poor man's pinning.
>>

>> --
>> Clemens
>
> That is not the case here.  I had the newest version installed and active (beta1-13).  I then did a port sync and it found that beta1-24 was now available, as shown above.  But, it will not perform that upgrade!  If I want to have the newest version I need to first deactivate.
> Until recently they did not have beta in the name (I think that they are getting ready for a release version, so have started calling these versions “beta”).  Prior versions had names like “@1.9.4~dev-613-ga36a93f_0”  And in those cases macports did upgrade.  For every other port, and this one until recently, sudo port upgrade outdated would upgrade to the newest version if I had the prior newest version active.
>
> —Adam

But, I think that I do see what is going on.
It seems that it is a unix sort issue.  Macports thinks that "@1.9.4~dev.beta1-13-g632349b_0” comes before "@1.9.4~dev-613-ga36a93f_0”  and therefore it think that I don’t have the newest version active (it happens to be wrong about that).
So, this “feature” is stopping the newest version from being installed.  One solution would be to delete all of my old versions, but I would prefer not to do that.  Is there any other way to tell macports to do the upgrade anyway?

—Adam