Managing multiple TeXLive installations

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Fri Feb 26 15:21:31 PST 2016

I am struggling with two different installations of TeXLive.

One is a 2013 version from TUG which was a binary installed mostly into /usr/local/texlive but with GUI apps in /Applications/TeX/.

The other is MacPorts 2015 version...

$ port installed *texlive*
  texlive-basic @30847_0+doc
  texlive-basic @34245_0+doc
  texlive-basic @37485_0+doc (active)
  texlive-bin @2013_5+x11
  texlive-bin @2014_1+x11
  texlive-bin @2014_9+x11
  texlive-bin @2015_8+x11 (active)
  texlive-common @2013_0
  texlive-common @2014_0
  texlive-common @2015_0 (active)
  texlive-fonts-recommended @36916_0+doc (active)
  texlive-latex @30738_0+doc
  texlive-latex @34192_0+doc
  texlive-latex @37361_0+doc (active)

I want to simplify and save space and reduce the possibility of conflicts. (My use is mostly through LyX--not the MacPorts version but typically a dev version from lyx.org, and I am currently helping to chase down some LyX-TeX problems.) Since the MacPorts TeXLive version is here to stay as apparently it is needed by some other port, the reasonable thing to do would seem to be to get rid of the 2013 TUG version by trashing stuff. However, the 2013 TUG version installed the very nice collection of GUI apps in /Applications/TeX which I would like to use especially BibDesk. When I look in /Applications/MacPorts there are no corresponding programs.

Can I delete /usr/local/texlive/2013 and keep the GUI apps in /Applications/TeX and if so, how would I keep the GUIs updated? Or is there a way to get the GUI apps to be installed by MacPorts, presumably into /Applications/MacPorts? I don't see a GUI variant.

Jerry