Spawning ping for packages.macports.org failed

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 13:39:27 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> lsof might help you find the culprit - but yeah, you're going to get strange failures if you're hitting resource limits.

I couldn't see anything obvious when I looked after it failed with
that error but I'll take another look if I see the error again.

>> This machine is sitting in a data centre in California and I'm
>> currently talking with the admin who stood it up to try and get to the
>> bottom of this as something is very weird...
>
> I've found over time that a reboot will 'fix' these kind of issues with Mac OS X running remotely if you need it to work right away (and give yourself some time to figure out the real issue and fix the root cause if possible).

The machine was rebooted over the weekend, apparently it needed to be
power cycled for it too come back up and I'm trying to get more
information as to what the problem was that caused the reboot to fail.
However it's still exhibiting the problems.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that when I install a port it
fails to install any dependency but if I explicitly request the
installation of the port that failed then the installation proceeds
successfully.

Cheers

Adam